Monday 18 October 2010

'With the mention of Derbyshire, there were many ideas connected. It was impossible for her to see the word without thinking of Pemberley, and it's owner'.




I am for Derbyshire, on yet another Miss Austen related mission. Despite my general dislike for the 2005 film version of Pride and Prejudice I did think they were rather wise in using Chatsworth as Pemberley, so thats where I'm headed.

When you live near Derbyshire, every spare Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday is generally spent visiting the huge number of houses that the county has to offer. Chatsworth, aside from Hardwick Hall, has always been one of my favourites. The house also has a connection with Cavendish family, and in Jane's day that would have meant the infamous Duchess of Devonshire, Georgiana. Though Jane herself may never have gotten so far as Derbyshire, I'm headed over to see what I can scout out a la Pemberley. After all, there must be a reason she chose to situate Mr Darcy's stately home in Derbyshire.

That and it means I get to go home for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment