Friday 15 October 2010

Hi, my name is Sian

At the start of last year, there was a girl in two of my seminars. She was the kind of girl you prayed to the Gods of Academia that you would never get put in a group with-she was literally on another planet. She once came in wearing her tshirt inside out, on purpose.

Anyway. One day, out of the blue, she approached me in the SU, asked me a question, which I automatically answered, and left.

It was only as she was walking away that I realised she had not called me Lauren, or any variation of my name, but Sian. Over the next few weeks she continued to call me Sian and leave almost immediately.

I never told her my name was not in fact Sian. I began to dread classes with her, realising that if she were now, after weeks of calling me Sian, to realise that it was in fact not my name, the situation would be awkward. Not just with her, but what if thanks to her other people began to call me Sian? How would I explain that I simply had never corrected her? How could I go on? Would I suddenly split, Jekyll and Hyde style, in to two different people!? The horror, the horror!

Thankfully she dropped out aronud Christmas and apart from the occasional teasing from my uni friends, I was to be Sian no more.

That is, UNTIL TODAY. Picture the scene: an ambitous third year steps down from the bus for her first week of lectures, sporting a highly fashionable pixie hair cut and a determined demeanor. She has by now established who she is, her person, her...

BUT WAIT.

And she's there! Turns out she's started back on a different course and I'm hoping that with her being pretty spaced out she won't recognise me with a different hair cut. However I will have to avoid her like she is the actual plague for fear of her calling me Sian.

Otherwise I meant end up at gradution, them calling out my name and being all, who the hell is this kid? Oh, it's Sian!

No comments:

Post a Comment